Dreamy Creamy Peanut Butter
DREAMY CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER
For years now, peanut butter has been a go to for many dog owners. Peanut butter is tasty and safe for dogs and can be used for so many things. I am going to share some of my favorite uses for peanut butter. It should be noted that while most peanut butter is completely safe for dogs, peanut butter than contains xylitol is quite dangerous to them, so it is important to use a peanut butter that only contains dog safe ingredients. Also, if your dog does not tolerate peanut butter you may substitute cream cheese, kong stuffin’ or even baby food for peanut butter.
- For stuffing Kongs – peanut butter makes a wonderful cap for kongs full of kibble or smaller treats that will fall out without something keeping it in. Just fill your dog’s kong and then cover the large hole with peanut butter. For dogs just learning to use a kong, serve as is. Once your dog’s skill at working the kong improves, freeze the kong after stuffing it to increase the challenge.
- Medicating – peanut butter is sticky enough to wrap it around a pill but formed enough to mold it into a ball around the medication. It is a good idea to offer the dog one or two empty balls and then follow it with an empty one.
- Tub love – get puppies or newly adopted dogs used to being bathed by wiping peanut butter on the wall of the bathtub. Many dogs will relax once they have something else to focus on in the bathtub. It is a good idea to start with a peanut butter bathtub session without actually bathing the dog to ease him or her into the bath part.
- Grooming assistant – smear peanut butter on your grooming arm for your dog to lick while being groomed on the grooming table.
- Nail trims – peanut butter can be used to keep your dog occupied while getting a nail trim. Not only does it keep the dog busy, but it also helps to create a positive association with getting nail trims. Tip: We keep an extra jar of peanut butter just for the dogs so they can lick right out of the jar when getting their nails done.
- Training reward – it can be tricky to quickly reinforce small dogs, particularly if you have a back issue. Peanut butter on a wooden spoon can be used as a reinforcer while training small dogs by simply lowering the spoon to the dog’s face allowing them to lick the spoon and self reward.
- Treats – peanut butter is a popular ingredient in home made dog treats. A quick internet search will turn up many dog treat recipes the include peanut butter.